Walking into a busy gym can be a daunting task, especially if it’s your first time and have little knowledge about exercise, you can be swept away with the variety of machines and range of exercises that can be done. Keeping it simple is key. Entering with a plan of what exercises you want to perform is essential to having a solid session within your timeframe. A good session is not defined by the amount of time spent in the gym however, more so the correct technique, enough rest in between sets, and lifting suitable weights. Staying consistent, lifting lighter than you think, and maintaining good form are all essential for creating strong foundations for a positive gym relationship.
Below we’ve outlined some easy yet effective exercises which you can start with as you begin to perspire to greatness!
The Goblet Squat is an easy introduction into lower body workouts. Activating the quads, glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors, this exercise will definitely make you fell the burn! Plus, little equipment is required!
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and hold a kettlebell by its bottom in front of your chest, elbows down. You can also use a dumbbell.
- Push your hips back, keep your back straight and torso forward, and bend your knees to lower into a squat, elbows brushing the insides of your knees. Hold for 3 secs then push yourself back up.
Dumbbell lunges are another great lower body exercise for beginners. This exercise predominately targets the quads and glutes, along with the hamstrings.
- Stand holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Step forwards into a lunge on your left leg. Hold for a beat.
- Push off your left leg to return to the starting position and repeat.
Tried and tested. An exercise you can do anywhere in the gym! You can also add variety to this exercise, by placing your feet or hands on a bench to target the different muscles in your chest.
- Start in a plank position. Your core should be tight, shoulders pulled down and back, and your neck neutral.
- Bend your elbows and begin to lower your body down to the floor. When your chest grazes it, extend your elbows and return to the start. Focus on keeping your elbows close to your body during the movement.
A great upper body exercise which targets the shoulders. If you are feeling confident or want to change it up, you can use a barbell instead of dumbbells!
- Pick a light set of dumbbells — and start by standing, either with your feet shoulder-width apart or staggered. Move the weights overhead so your upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Bracing your core, begin to push up until your arms are fully extended above your head. Keep your head and neck stationary and lower the wight back down.
A great exercise that targets the back. Aim to pull your elbows in towards your waist as this will minimize the bicep’s involvement.
- Sit down on a cable pulldown machine. Using an overhand grip, place your hands at shoulder-width.
- Lean your torso back at a slight angle and maintain a tall chest as you pull the bar to the top of your pecs.
We hope these exercises can help you begin your journey! It can be hard entering a new space, especially if you are not familiar with a gym set up, but here at Crunch Fitness we LOVE people stepping out of their comfort zones and trying something new! We can’t wait to see you smashing your goals and enjoying your fitness journey!
WIN BEATS WIRELESS PRO EARPHONES – VALUED AT $350!
Visit our Instagram to go in with a chance to WIN!
WIN A TECH PACK – VALUED OVER $6000
CRUNCH AUSTRALIA wants to give YOU the chance to WIN an awesome tech pack – valued at over $6000! PLUS, we are giving away over $1600 on our social!
Our Tech Pack includes an LG 65” Oled TV, OCULUS Quest VR Headset, Apple Watch 45MM GPS, LG Sound Bar, Oura Ring, & Microsoft Surface PRO8. – click here and see HOW TO WIN!
Want a FREE GYM SESSION!?
Hit the link below to receive your FREE GYM PASS to your nearest CRUNCH Gym!
👉🏻 CLICK HERE
Don’t forget to follow us on our socials!
I = crunchfitnessau
T = crunchaustralia
Crunch Fitness Virtual Assistant